Aggravated Assault Lawyers in Edison
Our lawyers defend individuals charged with aggravated assault in Edison Township. Our services are definitely something that could be of value to you as we have handled literally hundreds of aggravated assault offenses in Middlesex County and Edison NJ. Our defense team possesses over 100 combined years in practice and many of the lawyers on our staff are former prosecutors. Whether you were arrested for allegedly assaulting a police officer, causing serious injuries to another, or any reason that resulted in an aggravated assault charge, we can help you. Call our Edison criminal attorneys for a free consultation at 732-248-7675.
Edison Township Aggravated Assault Charge
The first thing you need to know if to know is that an aggravated assault offense is always a felony. New Jersey Law refers to serious crimes falling within this grade as indictable crimes. An aggravated assault can come in the form of a second degree, third degree or fourth degree indictable crime under N.J.S.A. 2C:12-1(b). There are basically eleven way an individual may face an Edison Aggravated Assault pursuant to this law. The circumstances that result in aggravated assault and a N.J.S.A. 2C:12-1(b) violation include:
- Causing serious bodily injury to another knowingly or under circumstances demonstrating extreme indifference to the value of human life;
- Intentionally causing bodily injury with a deadly weapon;
- Recklessly causing bodily injury with a deadly weapon;
- Pointing a firearm in a manner which demonstrates extreme indifference to the value of human life;
- Committing a simple assault on a police officer, teacher, firemen, EMT, DYFS worker, corrections officer or court official while they are performing their official duties;
- Causing bodily injury while Eluding a police officer;
- Attempting or causing significant bodily injury;
- Causing bodily injury through Arson or an explosion;
- Pointing a firearm at a police officer;
- Pointing an imitation firearm at police officer or for an unlawful purpose; and
- Using a laser against a police officer.
It is a third degree crime to commit an aggravated assault under the circumstances set forth at 2, 7, 9, 10 and 11. A violation of 2C:12-1(b) pursuant to 1 and 6 is a second degree crime. A fourth degree aggravated assault arises when the offense occurs under 3 and 4 above. Aggravated assault under 5 is a third degree crime if the victim sustains bodily injury otherwise it is a fourth degree crime. Lastly, when the offense is committed under category 8, it is a third degree crime if the victim sustains bodily injury and a second degree if they sustain either serious bodily injury or significant bodily injury.
Penalties for an Edison Aggravated Assault Offense
Fourth degree aggravated assault can result in a sentence that includes 18 months in prison and a $10,000 fine. A conviction for third degree aggravated assault carries a term of imprisonment of up to 5 years and a $15,000 fine. The most serious grade of aggravated assault, a second degree, can result in 10 years in state prison and a $150,000 fine. Second degree aggravated assault also triggers the application of the No Early Release Act (“NERA”) at the time of sentencing. What this means is that a defendant must serve eighty-five (85) percent of any jail term imposed before he/she is eligible for parole. This is what is referred to as a mandatory minimum term of imprisonment.
Edison NJ Aggravated Assault Lawyers
As the 5th most populated municipality in the state, Edison has quite a number of domestic violence, bar fights, resisting arrest and other scenarios that can lead to an aggravated assault charge. You can see that a conviction for aggravated assault at the Middlesex County Superior Court, New Brunswick NJ, has the potential to cause significant ramification, including a long state prison term. It is certainly advisable for anyone charged with aggravated assault in Edison to secure experienced counsel. Our firm, the Law Offices of Jonathan F. Marshall, can provide this level of service and is available immediately for a complimentary consultation. Call us to learn what we believe your best options to be in your case.